Router know it all

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby admiral 1 » 29 May 2006 11:55

The most understandable "know it all" on router hardware
(you may want to bookmark the site as it is quite a read) you can find here:

tomsnetworking.com

on the first page there you'll find a link to charts where you can find how fast (good) your router is.

The WAN-LAN and LAN-WAN charts are the ones to look at VSK-wise.

Also pay some attention favorising certain ports (vsk? ) through QOS, Quality of Service. (BTW get a guarantee from your ISP that they DO NOT prioritise any service over 2300 - 2400, if you can)

Don't panick :) i'm still using a D-link 604 wich barely makes it on the chart ..... but never ever gave me any trouble, except at power outages where it would reset to default configuration, reconfiguring is a peace of cake when you made a backup. It still routes just fine between internet and a chatserver, a vsk-server (host) and a teamspeak-client all at the same time.

Edited By admiral 1 on 1148897163
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby Aquabat » 29 May 2006 16:26

I want this one .. its the fastest .... Netgear WPNT834 RangeMax 240 Wireless Router.... its sure to speed me up on the water !!
Aquabat

Postby admiral 1 » 29 May 2006 16:43

Ha ha... hope you followed the instructions....

Tip: If you already know the ins and outs of hardware routers, then hop over to our Hardware Router Chart to see how products compare with multiple benchmark tests.

:beer:
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Return to VSK Help Zone