Connection configuration - which dsl?

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby Tornado » 14 Sep 2006 01:56

The vsk game configuration has a selection window for “Connection”, with different DSL specs.

I think I have a pretty fast cable connection.

Which DSL connection should I select?
And what’s the difference?
Thanks.
Bob
Tornado

Postby admiral 1 » 14 Sep 2006 14:21

Don't think there are that many different settings you should be able to go through all of them in one night, and then tell us what the differnces are :p I have found none so far.
I can switch through 3 physical connections , ISDN (64K guaranteed) DSL (6000 K promissed) LAN (1,000,000 K guaranteed) whatever the setting, whatever the connection i can't find a difference.

:cool:
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby Tornado » 14 Sep 2006 18:31

Spoke with a techie support with my internet cable co and gave him list of dsl choices.

He thought that, since none of the dsl descriptions applied, that likely the "LAN" was the one to use,
and that perhaps the designers meant it to say "LAN/high speed cable"

Checked my rates: to Seattle ( only 1,600 km away) it was:
Upload - 8749/kpps/1093.7 kb/sec; Download - 950 or 118 kb/sec. It was A LoT slower to miami or new jersey - over 4000 km away.

If you didn't select the right one, what happens? does it "constrict" your connection, yielding slower frame rates? and poorer hosing?
Bob
Tornado

Postby admiral 1 » 14 Sep 2006 19:16

You already checked the VSK forums http://www.virtualskipper-lejeu.com/ and there too i couldnt find any information on what it is supposed to do. We can hower go on a "wild goose chase":

a)
it controls the default configuration such that the game doesn't produce more traffic then your connection can handle like set to modem, the usage of player skins is turned off. When you use custom the setting thus has no effect.

b)
it controls the number of updates per time interval. That should however be noticable one way or another.

c)
the setting is propagated to the vsk servers, but due to bug not shown in the lobby

d)
Nadeo assembles statistics for future development.

e)
It's a relic of some planned but discarded function

Take your pick, feel free to offer other options. :)

FWIW behind a router, LAN to me is the obvious choice at the least while it plainly sounds better. :cool:

Edited By admiral 1 on 1158254420
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby Tornado » 14 Sep 2006 19:44

Thanks for your comments Theo. You are right, and I will not spend any more time on this item.

Instead, I will focus on trying not to be last in our Team Races, or at the least, finish ahead of you at least some of the time. :D
Bob
Tornado

Return to VSK Help Zone