nVidia GEForceFx 5600 Problems. - Screen flashes white in Melges and Offsh

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby Sangoma » 21 Mar 2004 17:38

Hi All
I recently upgraded my Machine, 2.66Gig P4, 512Mb Ram and then this new Nvidia card, to spice up the graphics.

nVidia GeForceFx 5600 256Mb AGP8X, with TV-Out/DVI/VIVO

Everything seems ok in the ACC class, but when racing in the Melges or Offshore's the screen flashes white and the instruments, opponents and 3/4 of my team mates disappear. The only immediate remedy is swinging the camera to a point abeam of the boat in order to restore the picture. Thereafter, changes in course or camera angle continue to trigger the flashing etc., throughout the race.

I find it is somewhat operable, but still not acceptable with my settings as follows:

800x600
Custom
Shadowbuffers disabled

Refreshrate 0
ColorDepth 32
Shaderquality PC2
Textures Low
Antialiasing Low
MaxFiltering Trilinear
Shadows None
Cpu/Gpu Synchro None

Gamesettings:
SeaQuality Low
Boat Quality Low
Team Mates My Boat
Boatstems None

I cannot believe that these are the maximum settings that I should be getting on this supposedly powerful card. Does anyone know what I can do to make it work properly.

Thanks
Sangoma - Greg

ps: all the latest nVidia and DirectX drivers are installed.
Sangoma

Postby Oobie » 22 Mar 2004 02:41

Holy Shit Greg! You should put that puppy to work! It's getting fat and lazy! :D

I have an nVidia GForce MX 440 64 (or something pathetic like that) and I run the following settings:

Fullscreen Res 1600 x 1024

Refreshrate 0
ColorDepth 32
Shaderquality PC3
Textures High
Antialiasing High
MaxFiltering Anisotropic
Shadows Minimum
Cpu/Gpu Synchro None

Gamesettings:
SeaQuality Very High
Boat Quality High
Team Mates My Boat
Boatstems None

And I get around 45fps

My card doesn't fully support the DX9 shader set so the sea doesn't have all those lovely ripples and reflections etc. But it goes fine.

As to what's causing those white flashes - no idea, sorry. But perhaps your video card is just getting the odd fainting spell from having to actually get up and do something.... :beer:
Oobie

Postby The Nude » 22 Mar 2004 12:59

I have the same nVidia card. I don't have any problem, though i find it doesn't look as nice as some of the screen shots other people get.
The Nude

Postby The Nude » 22 Mar 2004 13:21

I just went to get the latest nVidia drivers, in a hope to get it looking REALLY good, and when i ran the game, i had the problems you described, and some more (white menu screen, white sea). I went to windows update to get the standard XP ones, and it works fine again.

hope this helps
The Nude

Postby admiral 1 » 23 Mar 2004 23:40

Recently upgraded?

Meaning: new proc, new mem, new grafic card?

You can't run higher settings? With those specs and settings maxed to the full you should still be getting around 20 fps. at 1024 x 786 .......

that's what i get with 1 Ghz less on the proc. (ok its an AMD but still.)

wild guess...
- check the power suplied to the AGP port....

also:
- check if other dx9 games have problem running with settings maxed out.

- Can you run 3Dmark03 possibly in a loop?

and check here

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/10677/
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby Oobie » 24 Mar 2004 03:31

I would really like to know what all these game video settings actually do. Is there an explanation somewhere?
Oobie

Postby admiral 1 » 24 Mar 2004 10:30

half decently readable..

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1931&p=2

know it all, diy manuals etc.
may get you bored quickly though (unless you're looking for a job with Nadeo :) ) :

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article673.asp

Edited By admiral 1 on 1080117106
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby Swe16 » 24 Mar 2004 12:56

I agree Paul ...the only ones i know is these ones (my comments within brackets below)...i think..pls correct me if im wrong:

Fullscreen Res 1600 x 1024 - (This one is obvious right?)

Refreshrate 0 (No idea what this is)
ColorDepth 32-(More or less colors showed in your game....I always put this one to 16..since i really dont see any difference with 32 and 16 should be less power consuming than 32)
Shaderquality PC3 (Absolutely no idea...when I set mine to less than PC3 I dont get the water to look authentic...more like VSK2..but i see the puffs and lulls better so i use PC2 setting)
Textures High (More details -like shrouds, small winches etc can be seen with this one is set too high)
Antialiasing High (descriptive linkhere )
MaxFiltering Anisotropic (no idea)
Shadows Minimum (no idea)
Cpu/Gpu Synchro None (no idea)

Gamesettings:
SeaQuality Very High (This one is obvious right?)
Boat Quality High (This one is obvious right?)
Team Mates My Boat(This one is obvious right?)
Boatstems None (No stems=no waves created by boat)

Pleeasee!!!
anyone who knows the rest or can indicate if some of the above is wrong...write NOW!
:beer: :beer: :beer:
/Per

Edited By Swe16 on 1080126256
Swe16

Return to VSK Help Zone