XP SP2 slows down the game

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby euphoria » 23 Oct 2004 16:16

If your PC is operating slower with VSK3 than it used to, and you have installed service pack 2 of XP, there might be a connection there. My VSK3 frame rate has been very bad lately, but as soon as I heard abot the SP2 problem (thanks Paul) I downloaded new graphics drivers. Now the game is operating smooth again.

Harald
- with ATI Radeon Mobility 9000
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby Oobie » 24 Oct 2004 17:38

Glad I could help you fix your problem Harald. Too bad SP2 has COMPLETELY FUCKED MY PC though :angry: :angry: :angry:

It takes me 3 tries and usually about 4 minutes to go from the login screen (there are a few accounts on the home PC) to the desktop.
Also, as we discussed, my usual crap framerate of around 6-7 fps dropped to around 1fps after SP2 install. Cool.

Download latest catalyst drivers from ATI (I have Radeon 9200) and now VSK won't run properly. I get a message saying that the driver is not communicating with the system or vice-versa or some such crap and that I can press OK and a fault report will be sent to ATI. I'm now wondering how long it will take ATI and Micrsoft to work who is sending a technician round to my house to fix the problem....

Holding my breath ..........................................................................................

..........................................................................................

..........................................................................................

.................................... :beer: .............................................. I actually had lots more breath holding and lots more beers in this post but I hit the emoticon limit (6?) and so sadly I submit this watered-down version (SAD emoticon here -I'm maxed out remember).

Edited By Oobie on 1098632502
Oobie

Postby conchitage » 24 Oct 2004 21:20

sorry for you Paul if Sp2 gave you a lot of problems. I have an Ati vga card too (9800pro). In the web site of Ati , he recommand install SP2 with the new driver catalyst_4.10_ 8.06_1735.
First ,i installed the old version of catalyst driver ( yes the old )
Second , i installed the SP2 with Win XP firewall enable and open port for vsk3 for hosting
Third, i installed the new catatyst drivers with the new version of DirectX 9.0c
Fourth,for the best frame rate ,set the value of 3D as your card can support (ATI options)
Fifth,in advance personal configuration graphic quality of vsk3, set the value as low as possible,and try it......
You can change 1 option and see if its better, and try another until you find the best for your card .And the resolution too.
I made this with my old pc ( ati 7200 radeon ) + - like your video card, and all worked good
For the best frame rate, we need to close all programs useless for play ( depend of the power of your pc )
I hope see you soon with a beer and a :D :D
Gerard
conchitage

Postby Oobie » 28 Oct 2004 01:39

Nice card Gerard. :;):

However, the process you describe is what I would consider unacceptably long and tedious. I really can't see myself having time to even begin that process just to fix something that should never have become broken in the first place.

I have switched my settings back to low quality (smooth blue sea) and things seem to work ok. But it refuses to allow me to use higher sea quality anymore. Oh well.

See you soon, with a beer.
Oobie

Return to VSK Help Zone