Newbie questions (2) - Newbie questions (2)

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby Mark W » 16 Dec 2004 05:46

Just bought VSK3 to get me through a on sailing season here in the North East, I have a couple of questions :

1. I want to run this on my laptop so I can play on the train, but it seems to require me to have my external CDROM drive attached to run which is not feasible - what am I missing ???

2. Is it feasible to run a multi monitor set up (left view, right view, center view and basically run the whole sebang from the cockpit - THAT would be cool ..... I have the PCI video cards to do this, just dont know if VSK3 will support it - anyone tried ?
Mark W

Postby Oobie » 16 Dec 2004 11:08

Hi Mark, firstly, unlike VSK2, which had a CD hack, VSK3 will not run without the original CD in the CD/DVD drive of your computer. External is no problem but if you want to play on the train and you have no internal CD drive then you're out of luck. Which leads me to ask, how old is your laptop? Given that it has no internal CD drive, it would appear to be pretty old and with VSK3 being pretty demanding graphics-wise, I'd be concerned that it wasn't up the job anyway.

As for the multiple monitor set up, I don't know of anyone doing this or whether VSK3 would support it. There is certainly no control within the game settings to configure such a thing. Not that I've seen anyway :D - I could be wrong. I know games like F-18 Hornet allowed you to set up 3 monitors for left, front and right views.

Good luck,

Paul
Oobie

Postby CAN Knot » 17 Dec 2004 18:54

it seems to require me to have my external CDROM drive attached to run which is not feasible - what am I missing

Nothing, really. VSK3 has very good copy protection (Starforce) and requires the CD in the drive when it starts up. I seem to remember a hack that would let you run StarForce games from the HD, but the drawback to the hack was that you couldn't have a real CD drive installed in the system... which is exactly your case. Another alternative would be to start VSK at home before you leave; VSK only requires the CD to start, not to play. So you could start VSK, minimize it, remove the CD, and put your laptop to sleep (hibernate). Then when you want to play open you laptop and maximize VSK. It "should" work (depeding on how VSK responds to hibernating), but be warned that VSK chews up a lot of CPU cycles, even when it is minimized so it tends to slow down other things you might be working on (i.e. don't start compiling large programs, or working with large spreadsheets).

Is it feasible to run a multi monitor set up

Not that I know of, the game has to support multiple displays and I don't think VSK does... but that could be really cool. Let us know if you find a way to get it working as I have a spare monitor and I'm looking for an excuse to buy an ATI X800 Ultra ;) But I'm thinking you'll end up with VSK on one monitor, and the windows desktop on the others.

Cheers
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Return to VSK Help Zone