VSK3 Hosting Problems - Need guidance for configuring router

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby Jadran2 » 18 Feb 2004 06:32

I have not been able to sucessfully host any VSK3 races. Can someone advise me how to configure my LinkSys BFSR41 router running with Win XP s I can host? :O
Andy J
(Jadran III)
Jadran2

Postby admiral 1 » 18 Feb 2004 16:12

? Think you were okay with vsk2 if so, basically your routing shouldn't change at all. Even the network settings are more or less the same in vsk2 / vsk3 as in force server ip:port, enter WAN IP there.
and forward port 2350 (default) to the vsk host. for TCP and UDP.

Keiths FAQ for VSK2 cover it too http://www.suderman.com/

Can you still host vsk2 races? if so check your firewall!!
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby CAN Knot » 21 Feb 2004 20:54

There is one thing you have to do differently in VSK3.

Open the configuration utility, click the Advanced button, go to the network tab, and make sure "Use Local Address" is checked. Otherwise the procedure is exactly the same as in VSK2.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby Jadran2 » 24 Feb 2004 17:25

Thanks Theo and Keith.... I finally got it to work but my connection quality seems to erode with each successive race. I made sure my XP firewall is disabled and antivirus suspended... how often do u recommend rebooting system and/or game for successive launches?
Cheers
:beer: :beer:
Thanks,
Andy J
(Jadran III)
Andy J
(Jadran III)
Jadran2

Postby Aeolus » 24 Feb 2004 19:18

Don't disable the XP firewall. Just do that to test if that was the problem. I had the same situation and Theo walked me through it. I disabled the XP firewall and I could then host races. So I went in and played with port 2350 (don't know what the hell I'm talking about but he walked me through it) Then enabled the XP firewall again and I could still host.
Bottoms Up,
Tony
Aeolus

Postby Skiffie » 25 Aug 2004 11:30

I have been playing online and hosting races with my firewall and anti-virus on (using Trend Micro Internet Security), which has all been working fine... however...

recently (in last week) I have had others comment they couldn't connect to my regatta (and I thought it was because I was stinky :p), and have noted other chatting about the firewall settings. All worked fine with firewall off. Any hints from the experts? Free virtual beer for the first to respond with a solution :beer: :grinning:.

Thanks,
Skiffie
v-yachts "Dynamic"
Mark (Skiffie)
Team Rumbilical Brothers

"That was the best Friday night I've had in a week."
Skiffie

Postby DDodge » 25 Aug 2004 13:24

I hate to confess it, but the only way I can host is to turn off my cable modem, take the lead out of the router and plug it into the hosting pc, then restart the modem. After I finish hosting, I reverse the process. Primitive, I know, but takes no router configuration knowledge. :)

Don D in KC
DDodge

Postby admiral 1 » 25 Aug 2004 17:54

A) A race must be publicised at vsk3 server.
With the new colored fonts make sure you don't exceed the maximum length for skippername, gamename. Skipper name and game name each can have a maximum of 45 characters, the sum of both also may not exceed a length of 45. All formatting code are counted as character too.

B) Guests must be able to join.
1) Guests must be given the right adress.
Force serveradress (used when conections is through router) = public IP (WAN IP) + public port.

Default (used when directly connected to intenet) = local IP (= also public IP) + default port (2350)

2) Nothing may block (firewall?) guests trying to join.
Allow access on port(s) guests try to join on for protocols UDP and TCP. (Usually the port belonging to the public or external IP, depends on where the firewall is.. local firewall may block local port on Lokal network, firewall on router may block public port on public network, firewall at ISP may block too... etc. etc.)

- Settings in VSK3 network // configuration

server port = local port on which this computer is hosting, like 2351.
Client port = local port from which this computer joins, like 16001.

Use local address = no idea, can’t see any difference
(believe this to be a necessary setting when local port 2351 is not equal to publicised port 2351, eg. when already used for other purpose)

force server address = external IP (WAN) of your router, which is communicated to the Virtualskipper3 session server in Paris. Like 80.136.56.199.
Server port (public)= external port of router (communicated to the session server) that with port forwarding is routed to the local port of the computer that is hosting. Like 2351?

Joining computers are communicated the address of the host like 80.136.56.199 Port: 2351 from the session server. (Click on a race to join in the lobby on the vsk3 server.)

The joining computer reaches the router on the given address.
Now we can forward to the local host.

- Virtual server / port forwarding

public port = external port of the router, like 2351
protocol = TCP and UDP
private port = local port on which the to be reached computer is hosting, like 2351
private IP = local IP of the to be reached computer, like 192.168.2.101

the connection to IP: 80.136.56.199. Port: 2351 is now routed to the host computer IP: 192.168.2.101 port: 2351 All ready to host.

-Firewall / packet filters

possibly some rules must be added:

Normally adding a virtual host should already have accomplished something like this:
ALLOW
SOURCE: external interface (WAN, MAC ADDRES),
SOURCE IP: all (also WWW or 0.0.0.0)
TARGET: internal interface (LAN),
TARGET IP: the IP of the hosting computer, like 192.168.2.101
TARGET PORT: Port on which the hosting computer is offering the service, like 2351
PROTOCOL: UDP & TCP

When another local computer wants to join a public race out of the vsk3 lobby on a local host
Something must be added.

WARNING: BECAUSE OF SPOOFING THIS IS NOT WITHOUT RISK OF INTRUSION
proceed on your own risk

ALLOW
SOURCE: internal interface (LAN, MAC ADDRES)
SOURCE IP: local IP range (should include all local computers to be able to join) like 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.200, or the entire local network like 192.168.2.0
TARGET: external interface (WAN)
TARGET IP: all (better: only those that your router can get from your ISP) like 80.136.2.1 to 80.136.254.254 or all of the ISP network, like 80.136.0.0
TARGET PORT: all ports that are used by local computers to host (can be more than one) like 2300 – 2400.
PROTOCOL: UDP & TCP

Every computer in the local network should have a different IP, different server port and a different client port. Every computer that must be able to host must have an entry as virtual server in the router.

How to find your WAN IP
http://www.mywanip.com/

The WAN IP changes with every re-connect (dial-up), it then also must be changed in
VSK3 configuration // network // force server address.

The IP addresses of the local computers should be assigned permanently. If your router cannot be configured to do so, then set the IP manually in network configurations, properties of the TCP/IP protocol on the local computers that need to host.
The permanent IP should ofcourse be an available IP nr. Like 192.168.1.xxx (not 192.168.2.0 not 192.168.2.255)
Subnet mask normally should be 255.255.255.0
Gateway is the local IP of the router like 192.168.2.1.

Your ISP should provide a DNS (ask?); you could use any (also local) DNS from which you have the address.

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby Skiffie » 26 Aug 2004 13:31

Hmmm, that sounds all tecko-noggie-cal to me... I have a little old cable modem with direct connection to the web, no router.

A) A race must be publicised at vsk3 server.

Done that, even see my own game when I pull out of it because no one loves me ;)

B) Guests must be able to join.
1) Guests must be given the right adress.
Force serveradress (used when conections is through router) = public IP (WAN IP) + public port.

Default (used when directly connected to intenet) = local IP (= also public IP) + default port (2350)

2) Nothing may block (firewall?) guests trying to join.
Allow access on port(s) guests try to join on for protocols UDP and TCP. (Usually the port belonging to the public or external IP, depends on where the firewall is.. local firewall may block local port on Lokal network, firewall on router may block public port on public network, firewall at ISP may block too... etc. etc.)

Yep, perhaps this was the question I should have asked first.

I'm guessing I should have a new firewall rule allowing port 2350 and start from there?

Edited By Skiffie on 1093519923
Mark (Skiffie)
Team Rumbilical Brothers

Skiffie

Postby admiral 1 » 26 Aug 2004 16:27

It helps asking the right question :)

Apart from the right question. It is usually helpfull to give as many specifics as possible, like make, name, model nr., serial.nr etc.

Aprte from that your local firewall running on your computer, must allow access on port 2350 (default) at least, possibly allow access on port 2300-2400. For both, TCP and UDP.

If you can host when the firewall is turned off, that should be the problem.

I get confused with the cable modem?? part....
And it's not a router....

With a DSL Modem.....
If it has 2 or more sockets / plug-in's / cables connected beside the power cable/plug (actually every modem has)
AFAIK they usually are routing too.

If so, it must also do some port forwarding. Usually it does this automatically when there is only one external and
only one internal interface (only 2 sockets / cables /plugs).
In such a case you may not know it, but your modem may have a different IP-nr then your computer.

All you have to do is get to know what ip.

http://www.mywanip.com/

You then have to enter that IP in the force server adress field in the VSK configuration in the network tab. Mind you that IP may change everytime you re-connect to the internet (dial-up).

Edited By admiral 1 on 1093531042

admiral 1

Postby CAN Knot » 27 Aug 2004 04:40

Skiffie: What Firewall program are you using? I had a few problems when I upgraded ZA Pro as the new defaults are stricter than the old defaults were.

If you're not using the Windows firewall check that it isn't enabled, it might get enabled by installing SP2.

Admiral wrote:I get confused with the cable modem?? part....
And it's not a router....

Not in the sense that you're thinking, a cable modem is more like a network bridge, except it does do DHCP. The modem simply connects one network segment (your local LAN, even if that is just one computer plugged into the modem), to another network segment, the cable network. It doesn't handle port forwarding, filtering etc. like a "router" does.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby Skiffie » 27 Aug 2004 12:45

What Firewall program are you using?

It's Trend Micro's Internet Security...
Program vers 11.30.0.3017
Virus engine vers 7.100.0.1003
Common firewall driver vers 1.2.0.1017
Firewall rule vers 10136
I haven't really gone deeply into firewall rules in this program yet - was using ZAPro and VirusBusterII, but the guy who runs VB has closed the company so he suggested Trend Micro to his customers.

O/S is Win XP Pro, Win Firewall is disabled.
If you're not using the Windows firewall check that it isn't enabled, it might get enabled by installing SP2.

Hmm, from what I've heard about SP2 already... :O

Thanks for the heads up fellas, two beers coming your way :beer: :beer:

PS I cross-checked the mywanip result with Windoze "ipconfig" - same result.

Edited By Skiffie on 1093603604
Mark (Skiffie)
Team Rumbilical Brothers

Skiffie

Postby admiral 1 » 27 Aug 2004 15:01

Skiffie's Problem must be firewall related, aka the firewall is blocking access. As WANIP = local IP there's no routing issue.

admiral 1

Postby CAN Knot » 28 Aug 2004 07:27

Definitely a firewall problem, however I don't know enough about the firewall in TrendMicro to offer any help (although I also user their virus scanner).

One option would be to disable the firewall in TM and go back to using ZA Pro, I can tell you how to open the ports in that ;) and I think is a more powerful firewall.

Skiffie wrote:Hmm, from what I've heard about SP2 already...

If you have XP get it ASAP! Nothing has blown up on my system (yet) and SP2 contains tons of security fixes.

And the built in Windows firewall only gets turned on if you don't already have a firewall running. If you already have a firewall Windows doesn't enabled the built in one.
CAN Knot

Return to VSK Help Zone