Hosting Problems - and others

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby CAN Knot » 02 Jan 2005 22:53

I've finally updated my Unofficial VSK3 FAQ, but there aren't alot of questions and answers there yet. However, there is an exanded section on hosting races from behind a firewall.

Enjoy!
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby admiral 1 » 03 Jan 2005 23:37

Looks like you crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's there Keith.

You could add a paragraph about a local loopback. So LAN clients can join a public Host in the LAN.

:beer:
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby CAN Knot » 05 Jan 2005 19:26

I'm not sure what you mean Theo... With above settings both my machines can host races, and both can join any public race, whether or not the host is on the LAN or elsewhere on the net... Is there something I am missing?

P.S. I've added sections for configuring the Windows Firewall and ICS, but since I don't use either of those programs I have no idea if my instructions actually work... I would appreciate feedback from anyone that is actually using ICS or the Windows Firewall so I can check the accuracy of my instructions!
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby JTF » 09 Jan 2005 22:36

Keith,

THANK YOU!!!

not said enough here. These instructions were a god send. Perfectly clear and easy to understand (especially since we have the same ISP and linksys router).

I owe you a round (at least)
JTF

Postby NZL 20 » 11 Jan 2005 09:18

Hi Keith...

I use a windows firewall, but I cannot find a firewall icon on the control panel

Mike
NZL 20

Postby CAN Knot » 11 Jan 2005 13:13

The icon is only available in the control panel with Windows XP SP2. For SP1 and earlier versions try right clicking "My Network Places", select properties, right click your network connection, select properties, go to the advanced tab, and there "should" be a "Settings" button for the Windows Firewall.
CAN Knot

Postby Popeye » 11 Jan 2005 19:33

This has been very helpful Keith so I’m going to add my problem to this thread.

My problem is that Vsk seems to timeout or disconnect after a few seconds into a race. The same occurs with the java chat we use for racing. I’ve concluded (with Keith’s help) the problem is in the Lynsys firewall router model# BEFSX41. The only way around this is to place the computer running vsk into the DMZ / De Militarized Zone. I then found it important to run a software firewall; we wont get into why,that is obvious.
I still don’t understand why this is necessary as other online games work fine. I can also be a spectator as long as I like but when a race is started my time is limited to about 4 minutes.
If anyone knows more about how router firewalls work or more specifically how this one works...or not please let me know. The workaround of the DMZ is fine but a PITA to login and switch the router off and on before and after racing. There must be a better solution because people must be using this router while in chat rooms and if they too get disconnected.....

thx
Popeye

Even a blind squril finds an eggcorn now and then
Popeye

Postby hula » 19 Jan 2005 09:41

Hi all, little question, Can I link your work in VSKitalia website ?
Ehehe very good work!
Thanks
bye
Aloha

Claudio - hula
hula

Postby CAN Knot » 19 Jan 2005 11:24

By all means. Spread the word. I've also started the third installment of my VSK FAQ if anyone is interested. It's still rather pathetic, but it can be found at http://www.suderman.com/vsk3faq.html

Popeye: sorry, I missed you post. I'm convinced your router is going (has gone) bad. I use a BEFSR41 router with no problems. It is interesting to note that I have a BEFSX41... but don't use it due to other problems I was having (I think I had my numbers confused when we spoke).
CAN Knot

Return to VSK Help Zone