Stuck Sail Trim - how to unstuck

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby admiral 1 » 15 Apr 2003 18:11

Symptom(s):

assuming the race started and you did synchronise (see the other boats change course) you cannot change your sail trim.

cause: you entered the race with sail trim set.

problem: what is the setting

solution: find and undo setting

Haven't even checked the manual but IMHO following possibilitys exists:

dictionary:
trim sail = do something with the sails
trim sheets = change sheeting point to tighten sail
ease sheets = change sheeting point to ease sail
ease sail = do nothing with the sail (flap around)

STANDARD sail trim keys

num-pad NUM : switch between auto and manual
num-pad / : tighten sheets
num-pad * : ease sheets
num-pad - : switch between trim sail and ease sails

STANDARD sail trim buttons and sliders (something to point or klick or drag on the screen)

To the right side of the screen is the sheet-ruler

At the ends it has a little button call it TOP-BALL and BOTTOM-BALL in between is a SLIDER, on the ruler is an trim indicator (mostly under the slider, wich moves faster then your grinders :)

klick TOP BALL : ease sails

klick BOTTOM BALL : trim sails

drag SLIDER : trim sheets to where slider is

klick on RULER : trim sheets to where you klick (the slider moves there immediatly, the trim indicator follows slower)

Sometimes you enter a race with any of the buttons, sliders, or keys activated. Known cases are:

# num-pad - key
# TOP BALL button

now your sails or set eased.
You can drag the SLIDER, you can hammer the num-pad / key but your sails stay eased. Like telling your grinders to grind for their lifesworth without engaging the gear......

As it SEAMS num-pad - key and TOP BALL button are NOT linked. The num-pad - key is a switch! as where the TOP BALL
activates "ease sails" no matter how oft you klick it and the same goes for the BOTTOM BALL activating "trim sail"

(in a footnote i would like to thank skipper and crew of Euphredia as they galantly donated 1 point to blue for getting this hard won information :) )

(in an afterthought we "the blues" want to award somuch galantry with the donation of some 100 Lbs anchors, joyously spent and tightly fastened to Euphredia.)

(PS: We unfortunatly can not except anymore offers in this direction, Euphredia won't carry another ounce :) )

(( PS PS: If your kids, crew or grinders changed your keyboard settings you want to make sure you know wich key is wich, in doubt go back to standard settings))

Edited By admiral 1 on 1050423700
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby double dutch » 16 Apr 2003 01:12

jykes.......................... ???

and you expect us beer drinking humble souls to understand this all...??????????????????????????????

Theo.....forget it..... ;)

Edited By double dutch on 1050448358
D.D." the pen collector"
double dutch

Postby CAN Knot » 26 Apr 2003 07:01

You can drag the SLIDER, you can hammer the num-pad / key but your sails stay eased. Like telling your grinders to grind for their lifesworth without engaging the gear......

I suffered heavily from this bug on Wednesday. Two out of four races I lost my manual sail control, that is, the sails eased all the way out and stayed there. The only thing to do was switch to automatic sail trim, which is essentially the end of the race as there not much a person can do against you guys with a 3-4 knot boat speed deficit. The odd thing is that both times I lost sail control just before the first mark, up until that point everything was fine and then suddenly my sails ease all the way out! (I'm starting to think I even heard a CLUNK when it happened, maybe I have that Kiwi boom ;) )

Unfortunatley none of the above suggestions worked. I tried clicking the top ball, the bottom ball, easing sails (num pad -), clicking madly in the slider area, Note: when you click on the slider the sails do trim to where you clicked... and then immediately ease all the way out again. So, if you want to click on the slider like a madman for the whole race you'll sort of keep up, but you have no real sail control and can't look around.

This has been a steadily increasing problem. I first experienced it during the RPT finals (and made everyone restart), a few times this past Saturday, and 50% of the races on Wednesday! Time to try reinstalling VSK me thinks.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby TeamNZ » 01 May 2003 07:39

CAN Knot wrote:
maybe I have that Kiwi boom ;) )

LOL, nearly pee'd myself reading that.
My Home Weather Station 'Live'
VSK 5 boatname = "Insider [NZ]"
TeamNZ

Return to VSK Help Zone