Monthly Tournaments

Suggestions for the next VSK version (and VSK bug reports)

Postby CAN uck » 08 Feb 2001 17:18

Harald, I noticed one of your old posts on the vsk forum was reappeared recently. You suggested monthly tournaments just for the fun of it. ie no prizes other than the joy of playing.

Suggest this would be easily accomplished by Duran, really a no brainer. Versus some of our other wish list items which seem to require major or minor reprogramming.

Jake :walkingsm:
JaKe

Only the nose knows, Where the nose goes, When the door close.
CAN uck

Postby admiral 1 » 19 Feb 2001 17:39

psssst... vsk might better wait for vsk-2 a lot of people get fired of big time, mentioning the topic tournament.... realistic or not the feeling that luck plays a role has to be mediated first. Rather, I think, one may consider VSK pro-chalenge alpha, Vsk Gold Beta, the real thing is still in the shop :-)
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby No Match » 22 Feb 2001 20:26

If there are to be more frequent tournaments I think a more powerfull server package over all or a separate server of the right proportions for tournaments would be a good investment for Duran.
To judge from the row of bulshit about cheat vs lag during the last tournament, there seems to be some lack of trust in the user comunity, about the fairnes of individual match results with VSK gold, that need some reassurement:biggrin:.
Personally I'm more of an enthusiast for fleet mode, since in a fleet regatta you can feel equaly good when you pick your way through the field after a bad start, as when you take line honours.
If they could reduce lag interference to an acceptable level one could perhaps have a mixed format as with the Soling in the last Olympics. Initial rounds in fleet, with finals in match mode. That would constitute somewhat of an all-round challenge:wobblyeyes:.

(Edited by No Match at 7:28 pm on Feb. 22, 2001)
[b]Best regards:
[b]Jens aka No Match
No Match

Return to Virtual Skipper Future