Single player mode

Suggestions for the next VSK version (and VSK bug reports)

Postby Oobie » 10 May 2005 00:43

Odin wrote:What about buying a crew of toppless female models in thongs...drinking beeer hmmm :p That should motivate some!!

Tom, I wholeheartedly agree but we should not forget our friends on the other team and the lady skippers and allow the user to choose men in g-strings if they desire. :D
Oobie

Postby Shockwave » 10 May 2005 01:58

Obviously some kind of screening function would need to be added if there is men in g-strings. Or it could be used to scare the other boats not unlike an oil slick from a car.

Adam. :beer: :beer: :beer:
Shockwave

Postby Odin » 10 May 2005 02:30

If I see a boat full of men in g-strings...I'll puke my guts out :p ...and quit. F that!

tom

paul...sure you not gay? :;):
Odin
Odin

Postby Oobie » 10 May 2005 03:06

Odin wrote:If I see a boat full of men in g-strings...I'll puke my guts out :p ...and quit. F that!

Hmmm, sounds like a classic closet-gay over-reaction there Tom :laugh:

Odin wrote:paul...sure you not gay? :;):

Do I live in Sydney?
Oobie

Postby Skiffie » 13 May 2005 09:34

CAN Knot wrote:..."Career Mode" that tracks a players statistics over time ...

... Have a pool of 30-40 AI skippers each with their own name, boat, nationality, skill level etc. Some skippers would be aces and some rather inept, but the skills of each AI wouldn't change. ...

...Add an "economy" to the game. That is, cash prizes are awarded at each regatta and the money is used to buy better sails, hire better crew, maybe even perform some modifications (within class rules) to the boat. ...

Hmmm... I'd actually been thinking on a tangent regarding the "tweaks" or "add ons" which sort of covered some of this stuff.

The Career Mode or Regattas (and pool of AIs) could be against some "static" real life professional skippers - think of some of the golf games like the one with Arnold Palmer, where you can play Arnie and other real life players. They'd need to be ranked on experience or some-such (eg Swedish Match rankings year to year??), so you try to work your way up the list in knock-out rounds, etc.

The economy was a bit like my add-on thoughts... say you want to try to have a re-cut mainsail (flatter, etc etc), it might gain you in certain conditions but then that sail will be worse in others. Perhaps the economy could also be R&D for an (virtual) AC campaign, though I think we really end up talking a whole game expansion pack :p
Mark (Skiffie)
Team Rumbilical Brothers

"That was the best Friday night I've had in a week."
Skiffie

Postby CAN Knot » 14 May 2005 21:42

I'm glad you guys like the ideas. Yes, I had been giving it some thought :;):

It seems to me that the inclusion of some kind of 'e-mail' or 'uploadable' season would not be too difficult

Yes, that would be an excellent idea. Sort of ala Links were you can save rounds and send them to other players so they can play against you. I also had a "multiplayer" racing game that worked along the same priniciple; the AI would control one palyer's car while the other raced and the players would swap every 5 laps. It actually worked very well.

The Career Mode or Regattas (and pool of AIs) could be against some "static" real life professional skippers

I was thinking about that, but then Nadeo would have to pay those people for the use of their names. I think it would be better (easier) for Nadeo to simply make up a bunch of names and let the user change the AI names and skins of their favourite skippers themselves.

I think if Nadeo implemented even a few of these ideas (at least the regattas) they would have a much better single player game.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Previous

Return to Virtual Skipper Future