VSK2 - let's not forget about it

Suggestions for the next VSK version (and VSK bug reports)

Postby CAN Knot » 26 Sep 2003 18:44

It's nice that VSK3 is on the way, but it would be nice to see VSK2 continue to be supported until VSK3 arrives and after.

In particular the server needs to be "fixed".

The problems connecting (Unknown or invalid registration key) seems to be keeping a lot of skippers out of the game. While it's still possible to connect by click on OK as fast as you can, I don't know how many people know this trick. It seems that almost no one in North America knows this trick as the evening racing has been rather dismal lately. (perhaps a ping/timing issue? There seem to be fewer people the further you get from the server, I.E. lots of Europeans but few from elsewhere).

The private lobbies need to be restored. I always feel bad about asking people to leave a race that was launched in the public lobby, particularly when there are only a handful of people online.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby Odin » 27 Sep 2003 03:43

Totally agree with you Keith...VSK2 is still our game. I feel the quality of the game is going in the wrong direction. Also not knowing who is supporting the game and will until VSK3 is fully functional is a little scary. Too many bugs right now.

tom ???
Odin
Odin

Postby Berttie » 29 Sep 2003 11:28

I have to agree ... the post support for VSK2 has been weak .. even the port end start / finish bug is still there .. The key point .. can we believe that the support for VSK3 will be any better

Rob
Berttie

Postby murphs » 29 Sep 2003 12:15

i am very much FOR this because us aussies are so far away from europe, VSK3 (juding by the distribution of VSK2) wont arrive here until around february..... if the VSK2 servers are switched to VSK3 upon its release (maybe december???) there is a big gap inbetween
murphs

Postby Peelman » 29 Sep 2003 19:47

IMO it's important that beta testers communicate as a group to the new developers of VSK the pitfalls of the past VSK versions & the lack of support or understanding of where their users are. Sadly this might fall on deaf ears due to the big French user base vs. the international market.
Neil
"Peelman"
Peelman

Postby euphoria » 01 Oct 2003 10:46

I talked to Nadeo yesterday about the server problems, and they didn't seem to be aware of it (no private lobbies and very unstable user list (from 0-full house in a few seconds)). The webmaster is going to look at it today.

I informed Adrienne of Duran about the critical start/finish line bug 5 months ago, but never received an answer...

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby Camster » 01 Oct 2003 11:21

Realistically it's not likely that Nadeo will develope vsk2 any further, when vsk3 must be taking up most of their time. And once vsk3 comes out, the older one will wither on the vine just like vsk1 before it.

I still miss vsk1 and play it on my pc occasionally!

:( Sandy
Camster

Postby amic » 01 Oct 2003 19:38

To bring you some perspective, Nadeo is basically a 15 people strong team, not exactly your UBI Soft or Atari powerhouses.

In terms of basic support, I really cannot complain: having lost my password (EDIT just happened last week), I had both Nadeo and Duran get back to me within 48 hours.

In terms of the more "serious" support, servers maintenance etc, IMHO I would not expect miracles here. Nadeo needs at the same time to
i) manage Duran's departure and transfer all the server stuff, the technicalities of which being beyond me but apparently there is a system incompatibility between Duran and Nadeo -I still have a grudge against Duran for giving up the server aspect of things so close to a VSK3 release
ii) develop VSK3

I will refrain from trying to give organizational lessons here (I am a management consultant so this is not easy for me :p), but Nadeo is probably overstretched beyond reason.

Good thing for them is, I like the game too much not to buy VSK3 as soon as it is out on the shelves :D Also, I was not a VSK1 player so did not get involved in the VSK2 development days, but I quite like the attitude of the Nadeo people I have been in contact with. I do think they will pull this one off.

Cheers,
Arnaud

Edited By amic on 1065029985
amic

Postby Berttie » 04 Oct 2003 21:42

I think there are 3 points here for me

1) Things like port end start bug .. 30 mins to fix for a good programmer. We have all paid for the game and as its still current expect support.

2) If the support is bad on VSK2 - why will it better on VSK3- should we expect a port end start bug there too ?

3) Forget fixing VSK2 .. if that makes VSK3 release sooner :D

Anway ... enough moaning on a Saturday night .. I going out for some :beer: :beer: :beer: .. anyone coming ??

PS .. Can we set up a thread for VSK3 requests. I would like to see boat performce data from my boat being exported into a file. I could then get it into excel for example .. and the last thought maybe I could steal Haralds data ... and find out what makes him too fast for me :laugh: :laugh:
Berttie

Postby euphoria » 08 Oct 2003 08:16

The VSK2 game server is fixed and private lobbies are back! :)

Good work Nadeo :blues:.

PS! Rob, this is the VSK3 request forum. Just make a thread for eaech request.

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Return to Virtual Skipper Future