VTC Call: After finishing

Visit the race office to ask questions and to receive the latest news about the VTC.

Moderator: VTC Race Committee

VTC Call: After finishing

Postby euphoria » 08 Mar 2011 20:23

Question:

After crossing the finish line in VSK5, the scoreboard pops up, and the boats are temporarily out of control. What will the decision be if a boat interferes with another boat or touches a finishing mark after finishing?

Answer:

The definition of racing states that a boat is racing until she clears the finishing marks. However in VSK5, it is not always possible to clear the finishing marks, as the boats disappears from the water a few seconds after finishing. Nor is it possible to be racing for the period the boat is out of control. Since the definiton describes actions that are not always possible for VSK5, it does not apply for the apparent presence of the boats after finishing.

After finishing, the apparent presence of a boat shall be neglected. Instead it shall be assumed she follows the path a properly attended boat would have chosen.
euphoria
Site Admin

Re: VTC Call: After finishing

Postby Abra » 16 Mar 2011 19:37

Just a point of interest, I am able to control my boat after the finish. A few of us have noticed that some can and some cannot. No real bearing on the ruling here, but info non the less.
Dan Butler
Crew - Team U.S.A.
Skipper - Abracadabra USA 17
Abra

Re: VTC Call: After finishing

Postby Skiffie » 20 Mar 2011 03:37

Dan - I guess that's the issue. While it "can" be done, in all cases we now assume that it can't be done.
Mark (Skiffie)
Team Rumbilical Brothers

"That was the best Friday night I've had in a week."
Skiffie

Return to Race Office