RPC Team Europe Recruit on Friday February 18th 2011 Race 6

Forum for TRC events. Pre race messages, protests and post race chat...

Moderator: VTC Race Committee

RPC Team Europe Recruit on Friday February 18th 2011 Race 6

Postby arc » 19 Feb 2011 06:18

We have an interesting situation which is appears open to interpreted differently and could do with helpful explanation. RPC ITBYC sailing instructions, and ISAF RRS 2009-2012.

Within this race the red team did not get a good start which meant that Blue was in 1st and 2nd with Red 3rd about 4 to five lengths back and Red 4th crossing the start at plus 1 minute.

Red Sergysail team member types WD.

Red Arc team member types good start.

3mins after the race start still on 1st leg, Blue Tiger leaves the race.

3:50 mins and Red Sergysail leaves the race.

Blue Aleks Kara Kozak Team, completes in 1st and arc Red team in 2nd.

Is the order skippers retire in relevant to the score?

Regards, Paul (arc)
arc

Re: RPC Team Europe Recruit on Friday February 18th 2011 Rac

Postby Fix oder Nix » 21 Feb 2011 12:40

I wonder, that there is no corresponding Answer :)

That can come to a small Trap for the upcoming Host in the next Race. In 95 % of that case, if some one say WD in the chat, means " you won that, lets go to the next Race " And i am pretty sure that was exactly that what your temporary Team Mate " Sergysail" mean in that case. And Jan / TiGER was Host for the next Race and followed the
RPC SI wrote:
    Info for hosts:
  • Put up the race as soon as possible when you are supposed to host, and select courses in correct order.
    Info for all:
  • The event is only as fast as the slowest skipper, so make sure you are not the skipper that delays the event past 2 hours.

Btw. some of the Competitor in that RPC where not in the Team Speak, what had helped to make that confusion.

For the Future, will be nice to have clearness for that, to handle this circumstances :)
Cheers and CU,

Alex
Fix oder Nix

Postby TiGER » 21 Feb 2011 16:30

I agree with Alex.

But as already said in the TS discussion, my fault was that i did not asked in the racechat about a confirmation like "thx, you give up?" and you should have react upon your mate's comment "wd" instead of writing "yes, wd, nice start" by adding "yes, wd, nice start but race is still not over".
Either your or my chat or both would have lead to a continuation of the race.
TiGER

Postby Abra » 21 Feb 2011 21:10

Paul,

Indeed this is a unique situation. If all that was said was WD, with no reply and the opposing team leaves, I would score this a Red Team WIN. If no reply or confirmation you then have to assume Rule 4 and they simply abandoned the race on their own.

In any race is should be ABUNDANTLY and DELIBERATELY clear (with confirmations) that a person is abandoning competition. In my opinion, it is the leading teams onus to confirm an abandonment or move to next race.

Score WIN for Red.
Dan Butler
Crew - Team U.S.A.
Skipper - Abracadabra USA 17
Abra

Postby Abra » 21 Feb 2011 21:33

Jan,

Sorry, mis-read Pauls post. Score this as they boats finish. Blue = 1, DNF vs. Red = 2, DNF. Only rule that applies is RRS Rule 4.

Score Blue Win.
Dan Butler
Crew - Team U.S.A.
Skipper - Abracadabra USA 17
Abra

Return to Team Racing Cup - Official Protests