event Stable #2 race 1

Forum for TRC events. Pre race messages, protests and post race chat...

Moderator: VTC Race Committee

event Stable #2 race 1

Postby jiel » 23 Apr 2020 23:48

From t=8min50sec, an incident happened between Jiel and Mac who got a 18.2a penalty from Nadeo at a downwind mark.
In my opinion, because the next mark is full north, Mac is still in the zone when the contact happended and rule 18 sill applied. Jiel initially gave room to Mac to follow his proper course but Mac sailed to Jiel who tried to avoid until he was at the zone boundary. Jiel would be exonerated for the rule 11 breache (rule 21). Mac did his 360 but protested Jiel.
What do you think ?

vidéo : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YcoH2WOlmEnklwbCxvS9G8zonNLQ0KNr/view?usp=sharing
Attachments
race1 jiel mac fin de course.Replay.Gbx
(414.8 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
jiel

Re: event Stable #2 race 1

Postby euphoria » 24 Apr 2020 13:29

Interesting case.

Oliver, a question for you:
Why did you not luff to close-hauled after rounding the mark, but instead sailed straight and later beared away?
Just looking for the intentions by these decisions. It actually matters for the ruling...

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby Mac Yavel » 25 Apr 2020 10:51

Under pression, i was not shure where are the next mark (forgott map) when suddenly jiel appears in my road.I was surprised and not able to react because not know what i must do. i accepted this pen. But it is an intersting situation; if i went directly to the mark, normally sailed behind me

in fact it was for the 10 pen to Masimo i protested
Mac Yavel

Postby euphoria » 25 Apr 2020 12:08

Ok, so no protest for this situation. The issue here is that you shall not interfere with a boat on another leg, unless you are sailing a proper course. Proper course would usually be to luff to close hauled, but since boats are coming on stb, I wanted to check if you wanted to pass astern of them, which then could have been your proper course.

When is the 10 pen to Massimo?

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby Mac Yavel » 25 Apr 2020 12:15

At 1O. OO, is my tack too fast, or massimo brake rule 10 ?
Mac Yavel

Postby euphoria » 25 Apr 2020 12:55

It's a borderline situation because Jiel may prevent Donmasino from tacking. If Donmasino is precented from tacking (not enough time to write RTT), then you have to allow him room to pass on port. The pass on port is also marginal, but it seems like he actually is keeping clear (crossing without contact, without you making avoiding action).

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby jiel » 28 Apr 2020 11:41

Harald wrote :
Ok, so no protest for this situation. The issue here is that you shall not interfere with a boat on another leg, unless you are sailing a proper course. Proper course would usually be to luff to close hauled, but since boats are coming on stb, I wanted to check if you wanted to pass astern of them, which then could have been your proper course.

So I withdraw the P flag.

Also because Mac is still on the south side of the mark, I thought he still was on the same leg.
jiel

Postby euphoria » 28 Apr 2020 13:22

I thought there was a definition, but I can't find it...
But I would say a boat is on the next leg when the bow passes the line going through the previous and the current mark.

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Return to Team Racing Cup - Official Protests