Team Race training 2020.02.01

For cases and questions about the RRS

Re: Team Race training 2020.02.01

Postby euphoria » 03 Mar 2020 10:26

samuel wrote:
At the gybe at 2:15, I can't see why this should not be a 10, because Samuel is reacting slow, turns slow and even stops turning before he continues to turn.

Of course we can see.
1- take a look at distance between us.
2- do you really think could jive so fast without breaking 15?
3- yes due my mistake (not luffing a bit more hard) you get preference under rule 17.
4- if u hold your course as me then I break 17.
5- explain to me why you think enough room and time without break 15.

Hi Samuel,

1-4 are not relevant for your 10.

> 5- explain to me why you think enough room and time without break 15.

I am not talking about the 15, that is secondary. I said you are breaking 10 without any doubt, and it's a combination the 3 reasons I listed:
  • You are reacting late
  • You turn slow
  • You stop turning midway before you continue your turn
The last point alone is enough to say you broke rule 10, because you would only be exonerated from this breach if you sailed within the room your are entitled to under rule 15. If you use more room, then you are not exonerated. If you stop turning before the boats are parallell, then you are using more room, no question.

This is a general principle, and the situation in the video is just an example. If umpires should exonerate boats when they are not doing their best to keep clear, it would be a mess. Still it's often a judgement call whether the boat was doing sufficient, but not when the boat stops what it's supposed to do halfway, then continues. Stopping halfway would only be accepted if at this point, it was a question whether it was better to turn the other way (like in a dial up, when the starboard boat does not (continue to) luff).

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Re: Team Race training 2020.02.01

Postby samuel » 04 Mar 2020 00:42

Thanks Sir Harald, now I understand specific points about the case.
Keep going to your valuable contribuition in VSK and sailing......

Samuel Solano

cheersss
samuel

Previous

Return to Racing Rules of Sailing