Mar-Room, Eupho vs Jiel

For cases and questions about the RRS

Mar-Room, Eupho vs Jiel

Postby jiel » 09 Mar 2020 16:19

Hi all,
At t=8.40, IMO Eupho infringed rule 11 when Nadeo penalyzed Jiel for 18.2a.
Also, Harald argued if Shura closed the door Eupho could do what he did (take more room than if Shura was not there). I understand this argue because mark-room definition is "room to round the mark as necessary to sail the course.". Good to know. TY Harald for your explanations :)
jean-Luc
Attachments
jiel vs harald room.Replay.Gbx
(568.9 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
jiel

Re: Mar-Room, Eupho vs Jiel

Postby Shura » 10 Mar 2020 12:01

I do not remember the team
I left the original skins

jiel vs harald room video2
Leo Tolstoy in my years did not write this.
Shura

Re: Mar-Room, Eupho vs Jiel

Postby euphoria » 10 Mar 2020 18:25

Hi Jean-Luc (and thanks for the video Aleks),

I guess we agree, I have to anticipate that Shuraz at any time can "close the door" and sail to the mark.
If Shuraz closes the door, and you didn't give me room to pass behind him, then you have not given me mark room.
If Shuraz was not there, for sure I could not be exonerated for my 11.

It is also a question on judgement, when is it too late for Shuraz to close the door?
Hard to judge from your and mine position, so we have to be "tolerant".

Tactically, it again boils down to who has control. You have right of way, and you have control.
Don't force contact if you can maintain control without making contact.
You still have me after rounding the mark, but if you make contact, then you risk have to spin (or have 6 pen points).

Another related situation is taken from another Shura-video (it was not the original purpose of the video):

At 0:21, euphoria shall give Ilya mark-room, Parus shall give euphoria mark-room.
The question is whether euphoria's two gybes is acceptable in order to sail "to the mark".
By staying on the outside of Ilya, euphoria can be prevented from sailing to the mark.
By gybing, euphoria has more control of sailing to the mark (not sailing two boat widths more to the side of it).

euphoria can make that gybe, because when Parus becomes overlapped on the inside, euphoria is also entitled to sail her proper course, which that gybe is.
See 18.2(c)(2).

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Return to Racing Rules of Sailing