Trim - Manual/Auto

Suggestions for the next VSK version (and VSK bug reports)

Postby euphoria » 19 Dec 2002 14:39

The option to disable trim mode for a race in the race lobby.

And the boats should maybe not go faster only by the effect of switching from auto to manual, without sheeting in or out?
ImageImage
Harald the Horrible
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby Men Bret » 20 Dec 2002 11:15

I remember the first point (auto mode only) was discuszsed during the beta test period. Have no clue why it wasn't accepted then... ???
Men Bret

Postby CAN Knot » 27 Dec 2002 06:15

I totally agree, it would be nice to at least have the option. I still believe that the racing is better on auto (everyone's head is outside the boat), but that is just matter of personal opinion... a likely just because I'm so damn slow... :angry: :D :beer:
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby FEDELLO » 27 Dec 2002 09:29

Yes Vincent, was one of the largest thread in the beta forum named "Force 9".

i copy here 4 significant post (with the authors permission) where finally Sandy, in my opinion, hit the nail:

FEDELLO
(UID : 89958) Posted - 9/8/02 10:53:52 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don’t understand very much why the 99% of the races are selected with forces 6 to 7.
We lost the relax, the tactics and also the chat compared with our very loved VSK1 passing all the race seeing only jumping numbers without enjoying the rest.
With this stressing conditions, many times, I finish very tired.
With forces 3 to 5 the situation is more realistic, more similar to VSK1.The behaviour of the boats are less critical to the trim and more tolerant to the helm. The final boats speeds are ok and we start to thinking in tactics and use chat for “I’ll tack”, “STB”, etc. as usual in VSK1.
Do you think that force 7 is a standard wind to race with a Melges ?.
The question is, if Duran includes forces 9 to 10 we will race 99% in this new conditions ?

Sebastian

Men Bret
(UID : 70805) Reply - 9/9/02 1:01:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A solution could be to set 2 modes :
An "Arcade" mode with any possible wind conditions for any type of boats,
And a "simulation" mode whith only the max wind speed possible / boat type would be available.

FEDELLO
(UID : 89958) Reply - 9/9/02 1:37:16 PM
I agree with you Vincent. I'm sure that in our VSK community we have many people with disabilities that would like to have a fixed “automatic” mode to race avoiding the “octopus syndrome”. It will be very useful to add another parameter, to the type of race, disabling the manual trim and maintaining an optional VSK1 style.

Camster
(UID : 102422) Reply - 9/9/02 11:59:47 PM
Hmm...

Well I agree with Fedello that it would be good to have some races where the controls are simpler. Although the technique of sailing high & locking the trim is ingenious!

Maybe the intermediate mode could have no manual trim, and be used for these races. It's true you don't want too many modes, but doing it this way wouldn't create any more.
Image Sebastian
FEDELLO

Postby euphoria » 27 Dec 2002 10:13

The focus on the trim was anoying me in my first weeks of vsk2. But all the races I participated in was in F6 or F7... Later I have learned that hardly no trim is needed in F3 and F4 (at least in ACC boats), so using these wind strengths is a work around for our "problem". Personally I like these races most now, as tactics come more into play. Though for melges races, F6 and F7 is necessary to give the "action" type of game. I love the surfs :shocked:

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Return to Virtual Skipper Future