Locators - What is it ;)

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby sunburn » 08 Dec 2005 01:22

What is a locator?
It's a pointer to where a skin is stored on a server. It permits while you're racing to keep your upload bandwidth free from any skin download. They will download it directly on the web.

How can I create one?
Only those who have a personnal website (or somewhere to store file on the web) can use Locators.

- In your skin directory (for example C:\Program Files\Virtual Skipper 4\GameData\Skins\Boats\Acc), create an empty txt file.

- Rename it adding .loc to your skin name.
For example, skin "alinghi.zip" becomes the locator "alinghi.zip.loc"

- Open your loc file and just write the link where your skin is stored on the web. (Dont forget http://)
For example : http://mysite.free.fr/vsk4/Locators/Acc/Alinghi.zip

Now when you use your Alinghi skin, players will download it directly at this adress instead of downloading it from your computer.
sunburn

Postby HolidayTours » 08 Dec 2005 14:15

Tnx! A great tips!!
Rolf
HolidayTours

Postby CAN Knot » 08 Dec 2005 17:34

Do you know if you have to have the skin as well, or can you just use a locator file?

Will the ITBYC web server be able to handle the load if everyone links to the ITBYC skins on the ITBYC website?
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby sunburn » 08 Dec 2005 18:00

CAN Knot wrote:Do you know if you have to have the skin as well, or can you just use a locator file?

Both locator and skin have to be in your skin folder.
sunburn

Postby euphoria » 16 Dec 2005 10:54

Will the ITBYC web server be able to handle the load if everyone links to the ITBYC skins on the ITBYC website?

Yes, or at least my secondary server will... For the next revision of ITBYC skins, I will add locator files, just like I did for the santa revision.

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby CAN Knot » 16 Dec 2005 23:27

I've also noticed that if you go to the Network configuration page in the VSK launcher there is a checkbox "Auto update from locators" and a text field "Update locators from URL". Does anyone have any idea what these do? If the "auto update from locators" works the way I hope it does it could be very handy for the itbyc skins.

<s>There are santa versions of the itbyc skins?</s> Never mind... found them...
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby sunburn » 17 Dec 2005 00:42

CAN Knot wrote:I've also noticed that if you go to the Network configuration page in the VSK launcher there is a checkbox "Auto update from locators" and a text field "Update locators from URL". Does anyone have any idea what these do? If the "auto update from locators" works the way I hope it does it could be very handy for the itbyc skins.

We ask nadeo what is it a while ago.
They didn't answer us yet...
sunburn

Postby Kasti » 18 Dec 2005 19:24

Sounds great, can anybody recommend a free webhost where I could put the skins?

Thanks,
Herbert.
There is no gravity. The earth sucks.
Kasti

Postby compulsion » 19 Dec 2005 05:45

Hello all, After being around since VSK1, I have finally tracked a sight down that needs no translation. I am addicted to this as much as anyone. However, when it comes to loading and installing skins, I struggle. I could load a skin in 3 but not 4. I am told that my skin can not be seen. I can see it though. Basically, I am looking for a "VSK4 for Dummies"!

Also, I would love to obtain a personal skin that I can transfer to each hull, even the LAMA. Can I contract someone to design? Come up with a unique "Compulsion" design? Blue / Black Combo with red "STAR" imbedded in the mainsail. Kite, I need to think about that one.

Or, is building one simple enough that I could do it? Would I need to purchase software? Thanks so much and I hope to hear from someone soon!

Compulsion
compulsion

Postby euphoria » 19 Dec 2005 09:27

Please start a new topic about skin creation, and let's keep this subject to be about locator files.

Thanks,
Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby Kasti » 21 Dec 2005 20:51

Hi,

have been playing around with this for a bit, it does not seem to work for me. The upload still seems to be from my local PC and not from the locator. When I check out the outgoing data during the game, it seems to upload at full speed (60kB/s) to probably all opponents who dont have the skin (one after another).

Can't imagine I did something wrong with the locator file. The config settings also seem ok, "Enable locators" is checked, "Auto update from locators" is checked.

Any ideas welcome,

thanks,
Herbert.
Kasti

Postby XTREME » 21 Dec 2005 21:36

Hi..

Check up a way registered in loc a file and a real way up to a file on a server. If your server works under OS UNIX (linux, FreeBSD, etc) check up correctness of a writing of greater and small letters and access rights to this file.

Check up a correctness of a name of a loc-file. (if you use notepad) for example should be kasti.zip.loc instead of kasti.zip.loc.txt

Edited By XTREME on 1135194013
XTREME

Postby euphoria » 21 Dec 2005 21:54

I was strugling with this until 3am the other night, and I have found out some interesting things. The most important thing is that VSK4 downloads are not supported by all webservers! The one I'm hosting the santa skins on is one of them, so this dind't work for any of you.

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby Kasti » 21 Dec 2005 22:20

Could it be that the vsk4 network config could also be at fault? I had some races with a new skin (that no one has). In some of them, no upload was done, with others, it seemed to upload.

So, maybe if config "Enable locators" or "Auto update from locators" is disabled for the client that needs the skin, it goes to the skin owner and not to the locator...

Herbert.

Edited By Kasti on 1135196523
Kasti

Postby euphoria » 22 Dec 2005 00:56

No, the webserver problem is a stand alone issue.

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Next

Return to VSK Help Zone