Free "camera" movement - it's 3d so...

Suggestions for the next VSK version (and VSK bug reports)

Postby Bifrosty » 12 Jan 2001 16:41

well, you should be able to customize your viewing points so we are not only stuck with the 1 and 2 etc. option, free 3d camera movement, would allow you to use the viewing option that is best in different situations, like downwind in a luffing fight you might want to have tranparent sails, and a view from the "deck" so you could see under the sail, and have a better way of judging if you are gonna collide or ...
Bifrosty

Postby No Match » 12 Jan 2001 19:47

If they can manage to incorporate a customize view setting through an easily understood interface - similar to the ones Duran have made for the Vendee Globe 3D race course/position animation viewer (which work very well from my experience), and Mendel technology demonstration animations - I would judge it as a good suggestion.
Instead of a seamless mouse pointer activated interface, as on the aforementioned web-animations, one would perhaps be best served in VS though with an interface where one could use keystrokes to move the cam up and down in adition to port and stb in all available basic cam positions. With the addition of an on board based cam position and transparent 3D or 4D sails, I think that would pretty much sew up the common user's need for good views during races, as each of the cams are positioned at different basic distances from the boat.
Besides I find the horizontal rotation speeds of the key activated cams on the present version of VS to be quite satisfactory.
On the other hand the above mentioned key-stroke activated interface isn't truly seamless in the same way a mouse pointer activated one could be.
What are your opinion about this Bifrosty?
[b]Best regards:
[b]Jens aka No Match
No Match

Postby Bifrosty » 13 Jan 2001 02:19

my idea was an interface where you could customize the different cameras, there should be nine camera settings the 1-9 keys.

in the prefs, you should be able to set a camera position, using the mouse and zoom in/out.

during race you should be able to change cameras from 1-9
and be able to move the camera around with 4 keys, and 2 keys for zooming in and out...

that's what i had in mind...
Bifrosty

Return to Virtual Skipper Future