DirectX 9.0

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby jgoulart » 22 Mar 2003 01:33

Hi all,
I'm a new virtualskipper and I need a help from you all.
I've downloaded a demo version of Virtualskipper2 but it is not working because my computer is updated to directX 9.0.
Virtualskipper always send a message about can't open directX8.1
How can I fix that? I cannot return to directx8.1 (microsoft says that)
I use windows 2000 professional.
Best regards.
jgoulart

Postby Peelman » 22 Mar 2003 02:09

You might have to wait to see if someone here is using Directx 9 to know if VSK Demo is backward compatible. If I remember right during the VSK Beta, VSK is not & that is why you get the error message asking for Directx 8.1

Sadly when it comes to Directx it's a component file for the system which means unless it has a unistall file you would have to uninstall & reinstall W2K.

Look for info & help here -

W2K Knowledge Base -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;win2000

DirectX Knowledge Base -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;drx

MS Notes on Directx -

Backward compatibility is a key feature of DirectX. We do application compatibility testing with a large number of released DirectX-enabled titles and a number of pre-release titles every time we release a new version of DirectX. In rare cases, some titles are "version coded" to accept only a single version of DirectX. These titles are almost always updated by the manufacturer to fix this behavior. These few cases aside, we are not aware of any compatibility problems with any previously released DirectX-enabled titles. In some cases, these programs may even run better with DirectX 9.0.

DirectX 9.0 is a system component and cannot be uninstalled. If there is a problem with the DirectX installation, it can normally be resolved by shutting down all running applications and reinstalling. As mentioned previously, DirectX 9.0 is fully backward-compatible with titles written for previous versions of DirectX. If you are having other problems after installing DirectX 9.0, these can often be resolved by installing updated drivers for your display card, audio card, or input device

Good luck.........
Neil
"Peelman"
Peelman

Postby jgoulart » 22 Mar 2003 05:12

Thanks, Peelman,
I think is not a compatibility problem.
Vsk2 seems to ask if the directx is 8.1. If isn't, it shows the message (if true, this is a wrong way to test the version of directx).
So, when Microsoft introduces a new version, Vsk2 doesn't work anymore.
I'm waiting to Duran fix that problem to purchase Vsk2.
I purchased Vsk1 recently but didn't get the key to play on the internet. It's amazing! Duran sold more cds than cd-keys!
so, I've being trying to play by LAN but my friend can't see my computer even using the instructions on www.teamnzl.com.
So, I'm very tired to try, try, try.
(sorry my poor english)
Best regards.
jgoulart

Postby CAN Knot » 22 Mar 2003 06:50

The problem with DX9 may just be in the demo version. I believe several of the members here use DX9 with no problems.

I purchased Vsk1 recently but didn't get the key to play on the internet. It's amazing! Duran sold more cds than cd-keys!

If you have the CD then you have a valid key. I'm willing to bet you bought VSK1 from someone other than Duran (they stopped selling it ages ago) and what the seller failed to metion to you was the fact that the VSK1 server is no longer online, so online play is essentially over as far as VSK1 is concerned. The LAN racing option in VSK1 does work... if you have enough patience... but I never did.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby Peelman » 22 Mar 2003 06:53

I did some surfing & I agree with CanKnot that Directx 9 is probably an issue with just the demo as I've seen other sailors in the VSK forum using Directx 9.

Good luck..........
Neil
"Peelman"
Peelman

Postby Aeolus » 22 Mar 2003 15:10

I use version 9 and windows XP without problems.
Bottoms Up,
Tony
Aeolus

Postby CAN uck » 22 Mar 2003 17:08

I use DirectX 9 with Windows 98 SE and have not had any problems.

Your might try the following to check the functions of the program:

Run: DXDiag which is found here:

C:\program files\directx\setup\DxDiag

This program performs a vaiety of tests and might give you some help in identifying your problem. I am assuming this is present and functions the same with Windows 2000 Prof. as it does with my Windows 98 SE.

As big Bill is fond of saying we make no guarantees.

You might want to have a couple of :beer: :beer: first.

good luck
JaKe

Only the nose knows, Where the nose goes, When the door close.
CAN uck

Postby jgoulart » 23 Mar 2003 01:30

Thanks for all comments.
CanKnot,
I do have a legal copy of Virtual Skipper 1, purchased from a Duran's distributer in Brazil, Brasoft (www.brasoft.com - site in portuguese, but you can search a combo at the right side of the page). They are selling until now, as you can see, and Duran must know that.
They told me that Duran doesn't send cd-key anymore. In Brazil Duran would be sued! I don't want to have my rights over Brasoft because the Duran's server is not working...
But I would like to play by LAN and I cannot do that.
I'll purchase Vsk2 only when I'm conviced that VSK2 work on W2k with directX 9.0 and when my feelings about Duran are better.
At moment, a couple of :beer: :beer: is all I can do....
jgoulart

Return to VSK Help Zone