Another can't hoist races

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby Dag » 02 Dec 2003 15:35

I want to create races in VSK2, but no one can join my races. I have used the vsk.faq and other topics in this forum for setting up my PC and router, but it doesn't make any differences. I have a 3Com router with settings for setting up virtual server and for defining incoming requests.

Is there anyone that has a clue?

Thank you in advance.
Dag

Postby Oobie » 03 Dec 2003 01:00

Just recently got the hosting sorted out myself and it all had to do with the fact that I got a new ADSL modem that did NAT and port forwarding itself (instead of me frigging with the command line of my Linux gateway box). I know your set-up is different but the fundamentals are the same.

So Keith's FAQ didn't help? Personally, I didn't understand how to forward a "range" of ports via UDP but in my Modem's web interface, I just forwarded UDP port 2350 to the IP of my PC (which has a fixed IP address). So, all you have to do is:

1. Set up the port forward on your router, (however it's done)
2. Then in VSK2 Config, click "Advanced Network Configuration"
3. I set the following:
- Server port > 2350
- Client port > 2350
- Force Use Local Address > ON
- Force Server Address > the external IP address (WAN address) of my modem (your router)
- Force Server Address Port > 2350

Now, some of these settings may not be quite "correct" per se (eg. not sure if client port needs to be 2350) but it damn well works! So I stopped frigging with it.

The key is knowing your device's external IP address and settin g up the port forwarding. Good luck!

Oh, almost forgot, switch off "Personal firewall" or any other firewall stuff you may have running.

Edited By Oobie on 1070406156
Oobie

Postby admiral 1 » 03 Dec 2003 01:02

Hi Dag..

in order to help we'll need some clues from you.
- you have gotten all the settings right
as written
here ?

If, so it should work. If not give some more specific data like modell nr of your router, routing tables,
(print screen from your router config utility?) and
local (XP firewall running in background?) firewall settings and vsk2config settings....
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby Dag » 08 Dec 2003 22:20

admiral 1 wrote:Hi Dag..

in order to help we'll need some clues from you.
- you have gotten all the settings right
as written
here ?

If, so it should work. If not give some more specific data like modell nr of your router, routing tables,
(print screen from your router config utility?) and
local (XP firewall running in background?) firewall settings and vsk2config settings....

Hi again

Thank you for your replies, but it still doesn't work. The router is a 3Com and model is 3CRWE51196 and Sw version 1.04.01.

I am not using XP but Win 2000 and there is no firewalls running. I have also tried to switch off the FW on the router.

Dag
Dag

Postby admiral 1 » 09 Dec 2003 01:42

Hi Dag,

It still doesn't work after you read the replies, suggests your set up is correct, and still doesn't work?

What you want to do is mentionend in the manual here page 44 and following. Subject "virtual servers"

Server IP adress would be the locel IP of the computer running vsk, Port nr would be the server port nr from vskconfig.

For more then one host in local lan, give each host its own port nr like x.x.x.1 port 2350 x.x.x.2 port 2351 etc.

You maybe have to asign static ip nrs to your vsk computer so the "virtual" server is always the same computer.

Next would be to take your comp somewhere where the network already is proven to work, if you can host there your problem is in your network. If you can't, the problem is with your computer. You could maybe get a temporary replacement for your router, and see if it works then?

Make sure your configurations are correct. Sit back drink a beer, and walk yourself through all the steps.

good luck!
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Return to VSK Help Zone