More problems - And seems that I am not the only one...

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby EPLV26 » 31 Dec 2003 09:11

Hi all!

I have three questions:

1. I can't use VSK3 in my Compaq laptop (ATI Radeon mobility) because it requires graphics driver version 6.14.10.6360 or higher. The latest version available for download on Compaq support pages is 6.13.10.6274. Where could I find the required new one?

2. When playing the game with an other computer (Athlon 2,2+, 512Mb ram, ATI Radeon 8500) after some minutes of playing it starts to stutter quite badly. Frame rate goes down to 2-3 per second. When I then stop the game and start it again everything goes well. So the hardware is capable to run the game smoothly. I have disabled the sound but it doesn't help. Have you any ideas?

3. How can I create own fleet races with some AI opponents? I have a french copy and manual and I can't find it there. Maybe the reason is the language but anyway if you know please tell.

Thank you!
EPLV26

Postby Camster » 31 Dec 2003 10:18

Hi EPLV 26

I dont have enough technical ability to answer questions 1 & 2. Sorry.

3. But I do know that you can't use the course builder to make your own races against AI opponents. This is a sad situation, especially as this feature WAS included in the beta test version. You just have to be brave & come online with your course!

Edited By Camster on 1072858726
Camster

Postby euphoria » 31 Dec 2003 10:26

Hello there,

1. I do run the game on a laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility card. The manufaturer did't offer a new driver either, but there is a solution: Download the latest ATI Radeon driver from the ATI site (not the mobility version), then convert it to a mobility driver with the Rage3D converter.

2. My screen quality does also change during racing. It seems to be some kind of memory problem, and for my case the system hangs for a little while then catches up (after maybe freeing some memory?). Change the graphics setup to lower quality to solve this problem.

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby EPLV26 » 31 Dec 2003 14:10

Thank you for good advices!
That driver mod was superb!

It seems that we need a patch and mod pack for VSK3. Of course it is more demanding to sail against human competitors but sometimes you should also be able to practise and try to find all the hidden details of the game etc. And for example when travelling you are not able to join netgames (easily).

I have now tested VSK3 for some days and I have to say that I'm a bit dissappointed. Big improvements are the windshifts and current but if there is no way to create races against AI opponents it is worse than VSK2. I don't mind about fine graphics so much because I see sailing simulators more or less as a way to improve and practise strategy and tactics. Just like with chessmachines.

Combination VSK2 interface+VSK3 graphics & editor (improved) would have been ideal!

EPLV26
EPLV26

Postby Jadran2 » 18 Feb 2004 06:20

Here's my experience with VSK3 and ATI drivers. I am runnning a Radeon 9500 pro with an AMD Athlon 1.1 gHz in Win XP Home on a desktop. The first time I loaded VSK3 I got a msg advising me my video driver was "old" and to contact ATI for a update. The game loaded and ran successfully and after enjoying it for several online races I decided to do the update and that is where I began to have big problems. First, I installed the newest ATI driver available. On average the computer would function successfully for only about 30 minutes and then it would crash or lock up. Then I stepped backward through each prededing driver upgrade; all with the same result. I spent days doing this and finally one installatiion corrupted a boot record on my hard drive and I had to reformat it. After all this, I went back to my original "old" video driver and everything works fine. I relearned an important lesson: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I wish you better luck than I had. Cheers!! :beer: :beer:

Andy
(Jadran III)
Andy J
(Jadran III)
Jadran2

Return to VSK Help Zone