IRC c?hannel?

Open 24/7

Postby digiart » 16 Feb 2004 23:25

Hi all

I was wondering... How about an IRC channel?.. Or do you guys already have one? Im currently idling in #ITBYC on Quakenet (where chans for most other online games are located). Please drop by so we can get a bot in there :)

This allow us to setup races more efficiently and also be a nice place to hang out and swap expiriences with sailing. See you there I hope.

My nick on IRC is 'aeonimus' for the time being.
digiart

Postby digiart » 16 Feb 2004 23:26

hmm.. dunno what happened in the topic ???
digiart

Postby euphoria » 16 Feb 2004 23:43

Hi Rasmus,

We allready have an IRC channel. It's #itbyc at irc.webchat.org. Not the most used network, but that's the one we could connect to with our java web applet...

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby digiart » 17 Feb 2004 00:37

The thing with webchats is that you have to keep the browser window open at all time... Its based on Java and therefore "heavy". Noone is ever there idling or hanging out. I could write a guide how to setup a "real" IRC client... and maybe write an applet able to connect to other networks ;)
I can connect to irc.webchat.org with my client but I cant join the channel. Its just suggestions to help improve the community :D
digiart

Postby Jarmus » 17 Feb 2004 02:54

digiart wrote:The thing with webchats is that you have to keep the browser window open at all time... Its based on Java and therefore "heavy". Noone is ever there idling or hanging out.

Most of us use Trillian to connect to the IRC channel. But it doesn't connect unless TC is activated it seems. Or maybe unless certain people are connected? Trillian keeps me connected even while playing, so that I can go back to the chat after a race. Works well.

George
Jarmus

Postby Aeolus » 17 Feb 2004 03:31

George, I found that I couldn't connect unless others were there until I had a registered nickname.
Bottoms Up,
Tony
Aeolus

Postby Oobie » 17 Feb 2004 05:42

George is correct I think in that TC needs to be running before you can connect using Trillian. I tried connecting in Trillian when I knew TC wasn't running and no window opened. I then fired up TC and tried again - Boom! There I was.

The web browser however will connect to chat whether TC is running or not.
Oobie

Postby euphoria » 17 Feb 2004 08:21

The thing with webchats is that you have to keep the browser window open at all time...

The thing is that we want everyone to be able to connect to the chat room, without being dependant on other software. Still we recommend our members to use an IRC client, like Trillian (which is our official communication tool).

I can connect to irc.webchat.org with my client but I cant join the channel.

Like some suggest (and I see there is also confusion...), the irc server is set up in a way to stimulate people to register their nick names. So to connect to a channel you have to meet one of the following criterias:
- You have to be a registered user at irc.webchat.org
- Someone must allready be in the channel
- You connect through the web applet

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby digiart » 17 Feb 2004 18:25

I see your points and I agree. I regged a nick in nickserv now... when I try to join the channel it says: "[17:18] You are not a channel owner on #itbyc". I tried to have the browser running simultaneously.. same problem. Is the admin supposed to do something aswell?

And by the way... what is this TC thing mentioned above?
digiart

Postby euphoria » 17 Feb 2004 18:40

Sounds like you or your irc client is trying to do something with the channel which is reserved for operators (the channel is registered with chanserv and assigns op status to certain users). I have never heard about that problem. You are able to connect through the web interface, right?

TC is our robot, but is only around at our race events.
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby digiart » 18 Feb 2004 11:43

hmm... weird. It suddenly started working ;) I can join the channel now without problems. I was however able to connect via webclient and I was simply using the "/j #ITBYC" command when I got the error. Looking forward to some nice racing soon :)

And thanks for your help Harald :)

EDIT: Typos :p

Edited By digiart on 1077097486
digiart

Postby euphoria » 18 Feb 2004 11:53

You're welcome :beer:
See you for the world vsk3 team racing championship!

Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby TeamNZ » 27 Feb 2004 14:33

yeh i,ve quite often thought about having a fulltime irc channel, after all i,m alway on irc in my channels #clannavy on enterthegame or my 2nd home(day of defeat)
My Home Weather Station 'Live'
VSK 5 boatname = "Insider [NZ]"
TeamNZ

Return to VSK Skippers Pub