Does anyone race on the west coast of USA

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby Ted Bindel » 14 Dec 2004 04:51

Any servers for VSK3 in my time zone. West coast USA.
Prindle 18 Sailor Salinas Ted
Ted Bindel

Postby Oobie » 14 Dec 2004 05:05

Hi Ted, I'm not personally aware of any skippers from the west coast but I'm sure there are some. Anyway, it doesn't matter where a skipper is, as long as there are other players online around the world when you want to race, you just join in! And if you have your router/modem set up to do port forwarding, you can set up your own races for others to join.

To host your own races:

1. Make sure your computer is using a static IP address and not an IP assigned by DHCP.

2. Make sure your router is forwarding UDP (and TCP) packets on ports 2300-2400 (or just 2350) to the IP address you assigned in step 1.

If you have any more questions, go here:

http://www.suderman.com/vsk2faq.html

These instructions are for VSK2 but are pretty much all still relevant - I think :)

See you out there!
Oobie

Postby CAN Knot » 14 Dec 2004 07:53

Hello Ted,

What time (your time) do you want to play? There aren't alot of skippers on the west coast, but there are quite a few on the east coast willing to stay up really late, and even a few Europeans willing to stay up even later (or worse, the sober ones going for a race before work).

You may have to wait for a bit to find a race (VSK3 isn't CounterStrike with 100,000 people online), but there is usually someone willing to mix it up.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Return to VSK Help Zone