Rule 17.1 and passing a mark

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby Neil {Ecosse} » 03 Mar 2005 12:12

Hi ITBYC, I hope you don't mind me asking this question here.

I was in a team race last night with 'Sunburn'. The course was a reach then a run. I established an leeward overlap to Sunburn from behind on the reach, thus rules 11 and 17.1 became active. We passed the mark and started the run. I sailed above my proper course (I sailed higher and didn't gybe at the layline) to let some team mates through. Sunburn called 17.1 on me, but I didn't respond, thinking I was in the right.

What I would like to know is, when you start a new leg overlapped, does rule 17.1 still apply? I have always thought that, when you start a new leg of the course, 17.1 stops applying. Is this true? Can 17.1 be carried forward from one leg to the next?

Any comments gratefully received!
:beer:
Neil {Ecosse}

Postby Kwasi » 03 Mar 2005 13:28

17.1 is as long valid as the overlap stays established.
Of course it can be overlaid by rule 18 at the mark.

If boats lose overlap at the mark(which is often the case) and the leeward boat manages to recreate it, it still is a 17.1.
Cheers, Nick
Kwasi

Postby sunburn » 03 Mar 2005 13:51

Here is a little draw of the situation :

sunburn

Postby euphoria » 03 Mar 2005 14:35

What I would like to know is, when you start a new leg overlapped, does rule 17.1 still apply? I have always thought that, when you start a new leg of the course, 17.1 stops applying. Is this true? Can 17.1 be carried forward from one leg to the next?

Hi Neil,

As Nick writes, rule 17.1 applies. No rules start/change/stop by the fact that you are beginning on a new leg.

Cheers :beer:
Harald
euphoria
Site Admin

Postby Neil {Ecosse} » 03 Mar 2005 16:34

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for clearing this point up. Don't know why I assumed this. Must be rusty on the rules, I used to know them inside out for match racing.

Sorry Sunburn for taking you out like that (next time I will double gybe and take you out fairly!). Look forward to more team races in the future.

???
Neil {Ecosse}

Return to VSK Help Zone