Virtual Skipper Refuses to Start Up - Just a Blue Screen with Music

Ask the ITBYC panel

Postby Alfa_Romeo » 17 Mar 2005 00:19

OK, after receiving a virus on my computer and getting the blue screen of death, I re-installed windows to find that Virtual Skipper 3 no longer works. It begins to start up with the blue screen it always has, begins playing the music, and stops loading. I think this may be a problem with installing the automatic updates from windows, as I believe I've seen (possibly the service pack 2) was causing problems with it. Whatever the reason, does anyone know how to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alfa
Alfa_Romeo (CAN)
Alfa_Romeo

Postby Skorpa » 17 Mar 2005 01:04

Have you checked for the latest DirectX update? Maybe you lost important drivers when reinstalling.
Skorpa

Postby Alfa_Romeo » 17 Mar 2005 02:17

Nope, they're still there. ???
Alfa_Romeo (CAN)
Alfa_Romeo

Postby CAN Knot » 17 Mar 2005 22:04

Almost certainly a DX9 or graphics driver problem. Can you run the tests in dxdiag (Start -> Run -> dxdiag)? And try reinstalling the latest drivers manually.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby Alfa_Romeo » 18 Mar 2005 17:52

ran the test, said that it was running on the generic video driver :p Thanks for the help, if I have any more problems I'll post in here.
Alfa_Romeo (CAN)
Alfa_Romeo

Postby Alfa_Romeo » 18 Mar 2005 18:27

still have the same problem. I downloaded the latest Driver from nVidia, which I had before re-installation of Windows, installed it, restarted, and it is still saying I'm running on the generic driver. ??? I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.
Alfa_Romeo (CAN)
Alfa_Romeo

Postby admiral 1 » 18 Mar 2005 19:38

are you sure you installed the Frocewaredriver? not just unpacked it. It should show in the advanced properties of the screen settings. Also you would have an Nview Icon in the taskbar.

Also check if you have all settings in the BIOS right.

When a virus caused you to reinstall windows.. did you re-partition, re-format and or delete all data from the disk entirely first?

A "clean" Install would be the proper way to go if you can't remove the virus or can't repair damaged files. That's why you have a back-up of important data. If you didn't clean up your disk or don't have a backup, then go and backup your data now while you still can...... and then do a clean install (re-format HDD).

Edited By admiral 1 on 1111168050
Theeuwes de Jong, skipper of Admiral

"As far as I can remember, there aren't a lot of points of land or holidays named after people who sat at home and criticized Christopher Columbus."

( Paul Cayard, from the Pirates base, in an e-mail to race HQ. 25 Jan 2006 volvooceanrace.org)
admiral 1

Postby Alfa_Romeo » 18 Mar 2005 23:11

The damaged file is winlogon.exe which cannot be deleted because it's needed, no others have been infected. I've installed the driver before (before the virus) and it had the nView icon in the taskbar and it showed in the advanced properties of the screen settings, but htis time, following the same steps, it didn't work. I'll try it again though.
Alfa_Romeo (CAN)
Alfa_Romeo

Postby Alfa_Romeo » 19 Mar 2005 01:00

tryed again, no luck. It doesn't seem to recognise it as being installed at all. I even tried two older, yet still compatible versions, no luck with either of them either. ???
Alfa_Romeo (CAN)
Alfa_Romeo

Postby CAN Knot » 19 Mar 2005 02:48

How are you installing the drivers? You should "run" the .exe file you downloaded from nVidia.

If the driver still doesn't install try opening the device manager and removing the entry for you video adapter. Reboot and Window will detect "New Hardware" and should install a "correct" driver, although you will likely still have to update it.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
CAN Knot

Postby Alfa_Romeo » 19 Mar 2005 03:06

yup, I was running the exe file, it said it was installed and to reboot. So I would reboot just to discover that it actually hadn't been installed. Also, there is no entry for video adapter in device manager ??? Not even a hidden device for it. Theoretically it should have an nVidia in the device manager but it's not there either. The closest thing to a video adapter is VgaSave but it's very important to keep that.
Alfa_Romeo (CAN)
Alfa_Romeo

Postby CAN uck » 19 Mar 2005 16:19

Hey Alfa, was doing a little research into your problem and found the following:

http://www.driverforum.com/graphics5/11162.html

Unfortunately my computer expertise is no where near the level of Theo or Kieth so I am not sure this is the same problem you are having and the solution suggested sounds pretty "hackerish". But I thought I would pass it along just in case it helped or at least suggested another possible direction to check out.

Personally the only problem I have ever experienced installing new nVidia drivers is forgetting to un-install the old one first.

Hope this helps,

Jake
JaKe

Only the nose knows, Where the nose goes, When the door close.
CAN uck

Postby Alfa_Romeo » 19 Mar 2005 20:26

Tried the steps on that website, that didn't work either. Still no device in the Device Manager, and still running on VgaSave. I rechecked the registry values after restarting, and it successfully changed (or added) them, but it had no affect. This has got me stumped.

Edited By Alfa_Romeo on 1111256802
Alfa_Romeo (CAN)
Alfa_Romeo

Postby CAN Knot » 19 Mar 2005 20:39

There is nothing under "Video Adapters" in the device manager?!? I would suspect this is a Bad Thing. What kind of video card do you have? Do you have an onboard video control as well by any chance?

Also, double check your bios settings. It's unlikely, but something may have changed.

Finally, what is Vgasave and why is it so important?
CAN Knot

Postby Alfa_Romeo » 19 Mar 2005 20:50

Unless I'm blind or stupid (which is quite possible) there are nothing under Video Adapters in device manager. I have a crappy little nVidia GeForce2 MX 400 but I've never had a problem with it. No clue what onboard video control is or how to check BIOS settings. VgaSave is the backup driver that Windows uses if the updated ones from the manufacturer aren't working. If it weren't for it, if there was a problem like there is now, the system probably wouldn't start up.
Alfa_Romeo (CAN)
Alfa_Romeo

Next

Return to VSK Help Zone